26 February 2010

Pholk Tape #8

 

Well, it's finally here, the re-dubbed Pholk Tape Late (rhymes with eight you see). Apologies - and congratulations - to anyone who was aware that these even existed or that it was indeed late. It has been a busy few weeks entailing many an interesting development and a lovely setback right at the end to top it all off. I am for the forseeable future borrowing my internet from Plymouth University Library so many thanks to them on that front.

After realising the gritty reality of the situation that was facing me I found solace in the old mantra "better late than never" and so with this in mind have endeavored to complete my 8th installment and submit it two days after the deadline. I'm aware that this means I will drop marks, but I'm not doing this for the grade, I'm doing it because I enjoy it, if you have enjoyed any of them too that's a bonus really.

Anyway number 8 starts and ends on the same artist, a certain Mr Toddla T, Sheffield's Producer/DJ-come-comedian (check out his Youtube Channel). The first a garage-esque tempo & beat with a lovely vocal motif, the latter however a slice of his comedic side to cheer you up at the end.

Another double appearance comes from Mercury Rev, an artist I've just got into courtesy of Golden Bloggen. I tried to choose between these to tracks but it ultimately seemed like it would be both a fruitless and pointless task, so there you have it, Double-win.

The worldly aspect comes in the form of a recent MayaVanya re-work of Bailo Bilango, which I had never heard of either & Awesome Tapes From Africa's latest feature, "Hamdawa" with a track written in Arabic which I have coined "unknown".

Unfortunately named "The Morning Benders" and less unfortunately named "Hawa" cover The Cardigan's 'Lovefool' and Justice's 'D.A.N.C.E.' respectively. Primary 1 team up with vocalist Nina Persson for a lovely little track "The Blues", you can pick up their entire album for free HERE.

Other artists are Empire Of The Sun (yes I'm aware they've been around ages), Lemonade and She & Him with their country sounding song 'Thieves'. Which only leaves Palance by Blaze F J W which I chucked in to cheer you up after Holes & to give everyone a chance to dance of course.

Here's the Tracklisting:

01: Toddla T - Better (Seiji's Troubleadub)
02: Papi Brandao Y Sus Ejectivos - Bailo Bilongo (MayaVanya Re-work)
03: Hamdawa - Unknown (Track 3)
04: Primary 1 - The Blues ft. Nina Persson
05: Mercury Rev - Goddess On A Highway
06: Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream
07: Lemonade - Lifted
08: The Morning Benders - Lovefool (Cardigans Cover)
09: Hawa - D.A.N.C.E. (Justice Cover)
10: She & Him - Thieves
11: Mercury Rev - Holes
12: Blaze F J W - Palance
13: Toddla T - It's A Thailand Ting

Listen & Download: Mixcloud (Listen Now) | Mediafire (Download)

So that rounds it all off enjoy and as ever please support the artists by legally downloading any of the tracks you like.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment